September 20, 2012

Getting Involved!

I think we can all agree that the new school year has officially begun and therefore, I ask everyone to become involved! As a freshman, I didn't want to spend even an extra second at school when the clock struck 2:50. Over time I have come to realize that since Baruch is such a small school, everyone needs to become involved in order for our events to actually be fun. Now as a senior, I would be more than willing to stay a little later because the team I joined has practice or the club I'm in requires a meeting. As part of the wonderful Baruch community and as students, we all have a responsibility to keep what we want alive. For instance, everyone would like the soccer team to stay afloat but thats difficult when we're lacking members.
There are huge pros to going to a small high school. One of the greatest perks is probably being able to join what you want with less competition, thus increasing your chances. For example, trying out of the basketball team would be much more difficult in a high school with 4,000 students versus a school with only 400 something.
I know that many teachers have put emphasis in the importance of involvement but it couldn't be more true. I wished I would have listened earlier because I only truly got involved my junior year. I then realized how much fun it can be and now, I only have one more year left to enjoy it.
And for everyone who has become involved and loves it, i commend you for your dedication as well as your time.
Just try it and if you don't like it then fine, but give it a chance.

- Kristin Liang