September 25, 2012

Is Being Good Enough, Enough?


Varsity Practice - 2010 Credits: Former Baruchian, Michelle Yan
                When you see your name on the list of players for the team, you feel accomplished, that you know you can play as well as any of the members on the team. But does that make you good enough to play? Absolutely not. The only way someone can play in a real game is not by being “good enough”, but rather by putting hard work and practice to be able too. When coaches talk about who their favorite players are, it’s the players who work the hardest. You might have the potential to become a great player, but in order for you to achieve that goal, you have to work hard. In basketball, when you miss half the shots you put up (which isn’t bad), you shouldn’t say, I did good, but instead you should say, I have to work on my jump shot. I remember when I was in JV, I missed practices because they were early in the morning, but I see every other player, every day, sweating as they walk into school, because they want to play, this is their passion. So the next time you watch a sports game, think about how hard they work, rather than how “good” they are.
Joseph (Joey) P.

"Never mistake activity for achievement." 

- John Wooden

(Introduced to us by Mr. Soskind)

6 People Spoke:

  1. Anonymous8:54 PM

    Joseph, I expect some dunks from you in your game when I go watch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:54 PM

    I personally really like the title of this post. Just saying. I agree with you, and I feel like you're preaching everyone like Mr. Soskind - That is why I added in the quote at the end for you! What you're saying reminded me of this John Wooden quote Soskind has on his wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:56 PM

    And yes, I had to Google who the quote actually came from. Thanks Mohammed, and Kathy for the help remembering this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:49 PM

    I really like your post!!!! and I definitely agree well one because I totally understand and two its true. Good job :) Better show up to practice now!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:25 PM

    86 views alone for this post. Wow, great job Joseph. (:
    And you can never go wrong with quoting soskind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:28 PM

    I swear, 1/3 of those views were me. Since this was the top post, every time I need to look at something, I would pull up this page. Let's also not forget that it is on facebook - curious people will click!! But either way, good job Joseph - PREACH IT~~~~~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!
Your opinion is greatly valued.